At Chislet Cof E Primary School, we are determined to deliver both a high quality and a varied amount of PE and School sports for every child, to give them every chance to be active and informed of the importance of living a healthy life. Children are taught two sessions per week of PE throughout the school.
Children develop fundamental movement skills, becoming increasingly competent and confident. They access a broad range of opportunities to extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others. They engage in competitive (both against self and against others) and co-operative physical activities in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
- Master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination and beginning to apply these in a range of activities.
- Participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending.
- Perform dances using simple movement patterns.
Children continue to apply and develop a broader range of skills, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement. They enjoy communicating, collaborating and competing with each other. They develop an understanding of how to improve in different physical activities and sports, and learn to evaluate and recognise their own success.
- Use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination.
- Play competitive games, modified where appropriate (for example basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis) and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending.
- Develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance (for example, through athletics and gymnastics).
- Take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team.
- Compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
We deliver swimming lessons at Herons Swimming Pool to all of our Junior school pupils (Yr 3 – 6). Living as close to the sea, we strongly believe that all children should feel confident within the water.
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres.
- Use a range of strokes effectively (for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke).
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.